The Kids are Not Ok: Emergency Department management of acute mental health crises in children and young people – A retrospective study
Retrospective audit of medical records of children and young people below 18 years of age who presented to the ED with mental health concerns in 2018 (index presentation) and 1 year pre and post. The information will be used to describe, in different settings and types of EDs:
(a) current patterns and precipitants of ED mental health presentations;
(b) prevalence of co-morbid conditions;
(c) factors (including demographic, family and other social factors) associated with mental illness and suicidality; and
(d) the care provided within the ED and on follow-up.
- All sites required to enter 100 patient records or as many as they have available.
Main Retrospective study
- So far as of 30.05.2022, we have 1427 complete entries.
- To date data entry has been completed by the following sites:
- VIC – Austin hospital, University hospital Geelong, Frankston Hospital, Royal Children’s Hospital, Sunshine Hospital
- QLD – Sunshine Coast University Hospital
- WA – Perth Children’s Hospital, Albany Hospital
- SA – Women’s and Children’s Hospital, North Adelaide
- TAS – Royal Hobart hospital
- Data entry is currently progressing at the following sites:
- VIC – Monash Health, Ballarat Base Hospital, Eastern Health
- NT – Royal Darwin hospital
- QLD – Gold Coast University Hospital
- NSW – Tamworth Rural Referral Hospital
Covid retrospective study arm
- The COVID arm of the Retrospective study has commenced with data entry.
- Aiming to recruit 100 records from 2019 and 100 records from 2021 at each participating site.
- Data entry is currently progressing in VIC – Monash Health, Royal Children’s Hospital and TAS – Royal Hobart Hospital.
- So far as of 30.05.2022, we have 49 complete entries.
We are hoping to complete data collection for these studies by the end of August. Please let us know how you are going, and whether you might need a little more time.