The current SARS-CoV-2 pandemic has brought to the fore concerns that nebulized medication delivery may potentially increase the risk of respiratory virus transmission to health care staff through virus aerosolisation. To address this concern, participating study sites will have the option to use Primatene MIST “puffer” (MDI) in place of nebulized epinephrine to deliver inhaled epinephrine. An ethics amendment was submitted and approved for the use of Epinephrine MDIs to be used for the study. New Zealand has commenced using the MDI’s on the 29 September and Australia will also commence using MDI’s when they arrive for the Australian sites.
In the interim, nebulised epinephrine continues to be used.
- Recruitment in Canada remains challenging due to COVID. All sites were instructed by their institutions to cease research activity due to COVID-19 for some months. Several sites were unable to resume recruitment until the MDIs were approved. Currently, all 6 Canadian sites are recruiting participants.
- Perth Children’s Hospital commenced recruitment in December 2020 for the unseasonal Bronchiolitis presentations and have continued to recruit throughout 2021 (total of 60).
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital Adelaide commenced recruitment on 29 July 2021 and have recruited a total of 6, with a brief period of COVID-19 related shut down.
- Monash Children’s Hospital have commenced recruitment on 09 Aug 2021 and have a total of 2 however due to COVID have had to put recruitment on hold. They are planning to recommence when the MDIs become available.
- New Zealand sites have deferred commencement of recruitment due to various reasons, including waiting for the arrival of the MDI’s, a heavy clinical season that forced research staff to work clinically, and current lockdown related to COVID.
- Waikato Hospital has commenced recruitment on the 29 Sept and have recruited 2 patients. The 2 Auckland sites are still pending commencement.
- Overall, total number of recruited patients for the study is 230 of a total required 1616.